Call for UNESCO City of Literature 2021 Wonju Residency
Wonju City of Literature offers a chance for writers from Cities of Literature to come to Wonju and stay in Toji Cultural Centre for our very first Residency program, as an international level contribution to the cities of literature sub-network, designed to promote the understanding and the friendship of cities of literature. In this year’s call, one writer from cities of literature and/or who have a close connection to cities of literature will benefit from CoL 2021 Wonju Residency.
- Closing Date of Application: June 6
- 1st Phase and 2nd Phase of Application Assessment: June 7 thru June 17
- Announcement of Final Winner: June 18
- Place for Residency: Toji Cultural Centre
- Residency Duration: Up to eight weeks (excluding 2 weeks of self-quarantine)
- Round-trip Air Ticket Provided
- Transportation for official purposes while in Korea provided
- Initiating Date of Residency: Officially on September 1
- Meals (all organic) are provided at the cafeteria of Toji Cultural Centre (Exceptions: Only lunch on Saturdays are provided and no prepared meals are available on public holidays.)
- Writing Room: One of Rooms for Writers at Toji Cultural Centre provided during Residency
How to Apply
- Let us know about yourself
- Let us know about your literary works, achievements, awards, etc
- Let us know about your literary world
- Tell us about why you would like to come to Wonju and stay in Toji Cultural Centre
- Please tell us about how your literary world is or can be connected to Wonju.
Please note that you can write not more than one A4 sheet (10 to 12 font size) per each numbered subject above. Portfolio is optional. You can learn more about Wonju by visiting http://wjccity.wonju.go.kr/cityofliterature/index1.php?gid=english and reading the section of UNESCO City of Literature, Wonju.
Selection and Notification
We will go through 2nd phase of assessment based on the submitted document. One final recipient for the Residency will be decided by an independent panel designated by Toji Cultural Centre. Final notification will be available to both the recipient and the coordinator on June 18.
Payments (only lodging and meals) incurred during the duration of the COVID-19 self-quarantine in Korea will be covered by Wonju City. Two weeks’ of self-quarantine is mandatory in Korea. Factoring this duration in, we ask the recipient to arrive before August 18. The residency in Toji Cultural Centre officially starts on September 1.
Requirements during Residency
There are no specific requirements for the recipient to bear. We want the recipient to relax and engage in his/her creative activity as much as possible during the Residency. Besides, as Korean writers will be staying in Toji Cultural Centre, forging friendship with them is recommended, too. As for cultural activities in and outside of Wonju, I will further talk with the selected recipient.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org (Drake Yang) no later than June 6.