Nanjing is offering 6 virtual residencies in 2022 to writers, poets and translators from all UNESCO Cities of Literature.
Nanjing International Writers Residency makes a lasting bridge for the city’s literary community to develop mutual understanding with its international counterparts. This yearly program was initiated early 2019 and has hosted 18 writers, poets and translators from the subnetwork. The program turned virtual since the COVID outbreak in 2020.
Nanjing boasts a literary tradition of over 1800 years. The city served as China’s capital for about 400 years across six dynasties. Its heritages left from those dynasties and its diversified culture today have all contributed to its role as a “most luring destination” for inbound travelers to China.
The theme for 2022 program is “Rivers and Literature”. Rivers across the world have made significant contributions to culture and civilization, making themselves a lasting topic for literary creation. Waterways may serve as origins for literary imagination. They may turn into a protagonist in the literary works. And on many occasions they are carriers of literary stories, making cultural communication fluid and far-reaching.
With “Rivers and Literature” as the theme for Nanjing Reisdency 2022, we hope that participants may draw inspirations from rivers across the world for their literary creation, and promote literary communication at both local and international levels.
Open call for applications: from 19 September till 21 October 2022
Residency lasts from 31 October till 30 November 2022
What We Offer
- Virtual tours to culture landmarks in Nanjing;
- A selection of literary activities;
- Online interactions with Nanjing writers, poets, translators, literary organizations, and students;
- A stipend of 1200 USD for each selected writer.
What We Expect
Selected paticipants to:
- Be connected to a UNESCO City of Literature (either a resident or one who works or studies in that city, or has other connections with that city as recognized in writing by a City of Literature office)
- Have at least three-year experience in writing, or at least one published work ( book in print, all genres acceptable), or have received awards that are recognized by your local literary communities.
- Be willing to interact with Nanjing’s literary communities, emerging and established writers; as well as to partake in local literary activities;
- Write a piece of work in English (no less than 1000 words, or 50 lines in poetry) that is inspired by the one-month virtual residency, or translate Chinese stories, poems or proses into English; (All the virtual writers will retain the copyrights of their works. Please understand the works might be used for promotional purpose by Nanjing Literature Center)
- Be fluent in spoken English, or Chinese;
Documents for application
All applicants to submit:
- An CV with a passport photo and a life size photo;
- Extracts from his/her published works;
- Proof in writing of his/her connection with a City of Literature, when applicable.
Please send all the required materials to the following contacts prior to Friday 21 October 2022.
The Selected Writers 2022 will be announced on Thursday 27 October.
For further details please contact:
Focal Point for Nanjing UNESCO City of Literature
Director of Nanjing Literature Center